Monday, August 11, 2014

Facebook, Where High School Cliques Rage On

Facebook.

Some of us have grown to loathe the word, yet we still  troll, post and spit in the general direction of Marky-Z.

There are many things I feel about this social networking octopus. Some feelings are simply too vile to utter. 

However, today I have decided that Facebook has resurrected cliques of all sorts.

I don't mean for the kiddies still skip-hopping in school.

Nah, I'm talking about mature, very mature, types. Think back to them in high school...the popular kids who ruled the roost after jumping off the big yellow school bus, or some slick car their parents coughed up.

Yeah, them.

High school would prove to be the absolute pinnacle for these kids. As the years rolled by they would forever be stuck in the high-school zone. 

Unfortunately, the rest of their classmates discovered life after high school was grand and being on the outside of the in-crowd was just a bump in the road to the good times.

Enter Facebook.

Wow. 

Once popular kids discovered they could go back. Life was grand once again and they ruled.

How do I know this?

Because I was not a popular kid. Far, very far, from it.

On a lark, I found and sent a message to a popular type from my class. She responded with the usual drivel you would expect from a virtual stranger. 

But, no friend request appeared from her. I had intentionally not sent a friend request, just to see what would happen.

Did the old rules still stand?

Could a popular type friend an unpopular type, after all these years?

Pushing my experiment, I did a quick perusal of her current FB friends and there they were. The same old names (faces were unrecognizable) from the glory-days. The gang was all there.

I sent her a friend request.

Nothing.

I'm still waiting, months later.

I expect to see her friend acceptance hit my inbox any day. Honestly, it has been a couple of years now, but I'm the optimistic type.

Ladies and gentlemen, high school cliques live on and I have no problem with their existence. If living via your past-glory is your thing, enjoy. Rally the old, and I do mean old, gang back together on Facebook and rule. It's a funny, yet sad situation. 

Happily, I now know much more than I knew back then. Well, at least I know a little more.

Mostly, I feel gratitude for the lessons I learned by not being a popular kid in high school. 

Life is deep, rich, diverse and has nothing to do with being popular in high school or even being popular on Facebook.

Gee, I hope the popular kids from high realize being friends back then or on Facebook now is of little consequence in the general scope of life.

Gotta go and check my friends, just in case that person finally accepted me.

Better yet, I think it a much better idea to delete my request. Why try to be a part of the in-crowd? Some things just are not meant to be. Ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment