Thursday, May 3, 2012

TO MY SISTER, WITH LOVE, ON HER BIRTHDAY


Tomorrow, May 4th, is my sister's birthday. It is also my husband's birthday, but, for today, this blog post is just about her (he won't mind a bit).

Cards and gifts have been sent from Florida to Texas, but I just wanted to send a special greeting to her this morning. She knows how I feel in my heart, we tell each other, but this blog is the perfect way to summarize the celebration.

Barbara, has always been a part of my life. She has been there for all the important milestones for me. Always.

*She tells me she taught me to talk, and her name was my first real word. I have no doubt about this. No baby-babble was allowed!

*She let me play dress-up in her clothes and wasn't too angry about it when I messed them up.

*She made lists, assigned household duties and bossed me around and tried to be my mother, but I didn't mind too much. She's still a perfectionist about her house, but in a good way.

*She was always generous to me as a kid. She still is. I mean not just anyone would buy me a $50.00 salt keeper from Williams-Sonoma, just because I love to cook, right?

*One New Year's Eve when I was very young and disappointed about something, she surprised me with a little party for just the two of us. She had really fussed and I was so happy and loved it.

*It was in her car that I drove for the first time. It was standard-shift, I was horrible at it and I'm sure she was terrified. Our Father took over the lessons (bless his heart), but she never criticized me. I still loathe shifting gears in a car. This is why they make automatic transmissions!

*She took me to movies I loved. Of course, she was in charge of buying the concession treats. I didn't object. Did I want to? Probably.

*Years later, she pulled her husband to my crappy high school football games (she wasn't even an alum) to see me perform in the drill team. This in all kinds of weather, when she was quite pregnant. They also came to the dumb HS musicals and bragged on me (now, that's love).

*Her first-born, became like my own. When I babysat one evening and had to put him to bed with his shoes on because I had no idea how to remove those things that cover and protect shoelaces, she only laughed at me a little bit. She still brings this up though. Oh, yeah, some things never die.

*She was there for my high school graduation with her new baby.

*A few years later she gave me my wedding shower and years after that, my baby shower.

*As she is a fantastic cook, I learned so much from her. She still cooks RINGS around me!

*She was on-hand for the birth of my son, never leaving the hospital during my 12-hour labor. She helped us get through those trying first few weeks with a new baby. She stayed with us and didn't get much sleep, but she was happy and helpful and showered all of us with love and care.

*Once my child was born, he became her very special (and only) nephew. They have a bond that is strong and lasting.

*She has been a big part of every important milestone for my son: his typical babyhood accomplishments, his kindergarten graduation, school plays and events, his first trip to New York City, high school graduation and college graduation. She marks every occasion in his life with a call, card, gift of recognition (her love and regard is the most important thing).

*As I finally finished my college degree, she gave constant support.

We have, of course, also shared the joys of her family, but that's another blog.

Sadly, we have weathered the painful loss of beloved family members together. Giving and getting strength to and from each other.

Do we have and have we had tiffs or spats? Do we get annoyed?

Naturally. We're sisters.

Do they last long? Not really.

Our sister-story is long and there is much more to say about my sister. This is just me, blowing her a special birthday-kiss.

Those ties that bind, those heartstrings are impossible to break.

Happy Birthday, big sis, have a great day. You're in my heart today and always.

Love you, so much.

1 comment:

  1. I will try to respond to this blog through tears. You bet I was the one teaching you how to say 'Barbara' and you did.

    I was thinking of this very thing yesterday, and as we sat in the kitchen doorway as I was repeating the word Barbara and love you to you, you always looked at me with love in your eyes. To this day, I see that little face.

    Staying home to be with you and not going with my friends (at times) was not a bad thing at all, because you were always a joy to be with.

    You talk about me being there for you and I've tried, but I don't forget the times you were there for me and my family.

    Praying in the hospital chapel that my first born live, because we didn't think he would. There at my home when they rushed me back to the hospital and you stayed with the newborn.

    In the hospital with both boys when the youngest was rushed back into surgery and you and my sweet Gerry stayed with the oldest at the hospital and my list could go on forever.

    The song 'Blest Be the Tie That Bind' works for these two Sisters. The Tie that Binds us is love, friendship, admiration, respect and most of all integrity.

    I love this birthday blog more than you will ever know my sweet Little Sister.

    ReplyDelete